Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mr. Bracher's Wild Ride, and other musings of a green reporter

4/30/2008

Inside My Shoes: Mr. Bracher's Wild Ride, and other musings of a green reporter
By TAMMY MALGESINI
The East Oregonian

For just over two years, I've driven all over and beyond "Les Schwab Country," covering Morrow and Gilliam counties and even venturing into Sherman and Wheeler counties while working for the East Oregonian.

After learning my beat was going to substantially shrink as I join the new Hermiston Herald team, following the announcement that the East Oregonian Publishing Co. was purchasing The Herald from Western Communications, Inc., I began to reflect on my time with the EO.

Since Chief Photographer E.J. Harris said it was his goal to be mentioned in each of my columns, I must say the most memorable story I've covered was a fire on Cliff Bracher's property, near Juniper Canyon last September.

When Cliff came down in one of his farm rigs to get extra supplies, E.J. asked if we could gain access to do a story.

"Not in that," Cliff responded after looking at E.J.'s car.

Cliff offered to take us in his rig.

I coined the adventure, "Mr. Bracher's Wild Ride." It was insane! Cliff drove over scrub brush taller than me.

Periodically, Cliff stopped to give instructions, food and water to his crew fighting the fire.

We'd scramble out of the truck - E.J. snapping photos and me talking to whoever was there.

And quicker than a hot ember in scrub brush, Cliff would climb back into his truck - a cue it was time to move on.

As soon as the passenger door closed, Cliff hit the gas, while E.J. and I frantically tried to fasten our seat belts. It was one wild ride!

Being a Saturday reporter, I've enjoy traveling all over our circulation area, covering events.

Senior Reporter Kathy Aney once said she'd have a hard time doing some of the "fluff" stories I've been assigned.

That's OK; I often received positive feedback from those so-called fluff stories.

Publisher George Murdock said it most eloquently or at least the easiest to understand, "You have a wonderful ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Not bad for someone who, until the Pendleton Cattle Baron's weekend, didn't know the difference between a gelding and stallion and once asked someone what "dress age" was during a 4-H equestrian competition.

And last, but not least one of my favorite parts of the job has been getting out into the communities in my beat.

When my husband and I first moved here, we only planned on staying for two years. I figured I could endure Wranglers and rodeos that long, while John gained teaching experience.

Mike Royer, who I graduated with at George Fox College, was teaching and coaching at Heppner.

I told John, "Well at least we didn't end up in Heppner."

My attitude changed, as I've grown to love Morrow County and its residents and public officials.

As mundane and boring as some public meetings can be, the folks of Morrow County have an innate ability to get business done, while still providing material for my stand-up comedy routines.

I've had the privilege to work with one of the finest news teams a rookie reporter could ask for. They provided me guidance - sometimes with a "we've told you before" sound in their voice, but always in an effort to assist in honing my skills.

And while I'll always cherish the memories during my tenure with the EO, I'm looking forward to working for the hometown paper in the place I've lived nearly half my life.

*****
When I asked Deputy Managing Editor what the difference between a gelding and stallion, he so eloquently said one still has his "junk" and the other doesn't. Dave had done a column about not being married and asked others why they thought that was. Well, I reminded him of this and told him my husband (who's obviously married) refers to his anatomy as "the family jewels." And Dave (who's not married) referred to it as junk. Hmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment