Sunday, October 18, 2009

Still writing, changing hats

12/3/2008

Inside My Shoes
Still writing, changing hats
By TAMMY MALGESINI
The Hermiston Herald

Being part of a smaller news team at The Hermiston Herald has provided me opportunities to expand my horizons, including regularly writing columns, taking more photos, taking video footage, doing radio and even pinch-hitting in sports.

Sarah Britain, our former photojournalist, was great to work with. She was encouraging and I gained a lot of skills and insight - assisting me in honing my photography skills. Although, I took no offense when she said, "Even a monkey can take mug shots," I reminded her of it every chance I got.

However, one of the best parts of the job has been working with fellow reporter Karen Hutchinson-Talaski.
When the East Oregonian Publishing Company announced the purchase of the Herald from Western Communications, I was told I was being designated as arts and entertainment editor/reporter. My beat also included community, religion and Hermiston and Echo school districts; however, the first thing I worked on was convincing Karen to apply for a job.

Karen had worked for the Herald under the old company for five years and I ran into her often covering the same stories while I was with the East Oregonian. During these encounters we often stood or sat side-by-side.

Such was the case when covering a particular court hearing last October. I didn't want Karen to hear me as I quietly whispered to the mother of one of the defendants to see if she was willing to talk to me after the hearing.

Sure, I respected Karen as a reporter, but face it; she was writing for "the other paper."

I called her several hours after the sale had been announced. I knew it had to be tough news to receive. I called her as a friend and then encouraged her to apply for a position, saying, "You are The Hermiston Herald."

I told her she'd be working with me - evidently that didn't send her running the other way.

As you read this, I'm still sitting at my same desk, with the same phone number, however, I'm back writing for the EO - where I got my start in journalism. I think I knew someday I'd return to the EO, because I kept my shirts and hats.

The funny thing is Terry Murry, the EO's former community editor, had encouraged me to apply for her job when she turned in her notice. I told her I wasn't interested. If the truth be known, I honestly didn't think I could fill her shoes.

Three days later I had a meeting with EO Editor George Murdock and Herald Editor Dean Brickey. It was at that time they told me I was going to the Herald.

For the last seven months, being responsible for What's Up? (and the now defunct A&E) is what I needed to gain the experience and confidence I needed. I appreciate Dean for affording me that opportunity.

And while I look forward to the challenge before me, I'll always cherish the memories of working for the hometown paper of the place I've lived for nearly half my life.
---
Tammy Malgesini worked for the Hermiston Herald for the past seven months. She can be reached at (541) 564-4539 or tmalgesini@eastoregonian.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment