Sunday, October 18, 2009

Corn salad takes its toll on reporter's tooth

8/18/2009

Corn salad takes its toll on reporter's tooth
By TAMMY MALGESINI
East Oregonian

Even though I laid tilted back in the chair, my legs crossed at the ankles, I was anything but relaxed.

I used to think having to do laundry on vacation was totally wrong; however, as I sat in the dentist's chair last month in Moab, Utah, I decided I would rather wash my clothes by beating it across the area's signature red rocks than have my mouth wide open while Dr. Norman Barber drilled away.

John and I had just returned to the hotel on the night of our arrival in Moab when it happened. While eating some southwestern corn and black bean salad there was a crunch - I broke a tooth. And then my tongue just couldn't stay away from the suspect tooth - resulting in a twinge of pain each time it pushed the jagged edge into my gums.

While I should have been focused on an outdoor itinerary of which trail we were going to explore on our all-terrain vehicle, instead I was perusing the Web sites of Moab dentists. And how does one choose a dentist far away from home? Do I choose a solo dentist whose practice merely goes by the dentist's name or how about clinics that incorporate the geography of southeastern Utah in their name like Red Rock Dental or Arches Dental Clinic?

I finally decided to get input from the hotel desk clerk. After explaining my situation, she wished me luck, saying it's difficult to get into a dentist on short notice - even if you're an established patient. So I resorted to looking for any indication on the Web sites that the dentist would take kindly to my plight. When I saw the word "emergencies," I figured Barber's practice was my best bet.

When I called, the receptionist asked me which tooth it was. Although I now know it's tooth number 29, at the time all I knew is it was the one digging into my gums each time my tongue wandered. After I sufficiently described which tooth was bothersome to me, she granted me an appointment time.

When I asked where their office was located, she said, "380 North 500 West." Despite what I'm told is a simple address coordinate system based on grids, I don't understand when people give me an address that includes two sets of numbers. And after following the directions from Mapquest, I found comfort in knowing I'm not the only one it confuses.

I wouldn't say it was a painless experience, because, well, it was a trip to the dentist, but after sitting there with my mouth open for what seemed like an eternity, I finally was patched up and ready to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

While hiking, climbing and riding through the beautiful red rock region, I had no further mishaps; however, I didn't eat anymore of the suspect southwestern salad.
---
Tammy Malgesini is the EO community editor. Her column, Inside my shoes, appears every other week. You can reach her at tmalgesini@eastoregonian.com or 541-564-4539.

No comments:

Post a Comment