Sunday, October 18, 2009

Melton, Miller provide dose of Round-Up spirit

09/17/2009

Melton, Miller provide dose of Round-Up spirit

By TAMMY MALGESINI

East Oregonian

I got a healthy dose of Round-Up spirit Saturday morning thanks to Tom Melton and Bob Miller, announcers for the Main Street Cowboys Dress-Up Parade.

You know how stores have Christmas things out and it’s not even Thanksgiving yet? Well, the newsroom is the same way. Before the Umatilla County Fair even began, we were already writing copy for the East Oregonian’s Round-Up magazine.

So, by the time the first horse gets ready to buck, my Round-Up spirit is nearly depleted.
Sometimes when looking at the coming events calendar it’s a tough call trying to decide what to cover for the weekend. However, after a quick glance early last week, I knew as the Saturday reporter I’d be hanging out on the streets of Pendleton for the Dress-Up Parade, often called the kick-off event for the Pendleton Round-Up.

Sure, everyone loves a parade, but as the week continued, I pondered how I should approach doing the story. Later in the week, I found out I also needed to take photos. Then on Friday, EO Managing Editor Skip Nichols asked me to take video footage.

It was this juggling act that prompted me to stake out a spot near the announcer’s table.
Having met the M & Ms a couple of years ago, I re-introduced myself to Melton and Miller, and then proceeded to set up my temporary encampment.

Within moments, I knew I was in the right place. I chuckled out loud as the pair bantered back and forth.

Although they had some written information on many of the entries, it was the duo’s spontaneous ad-libbing with each other and many who passed in front of them on the parade route that added to the experience - that and the shower of Tootsie Rolls raining on the stage area, courtesy of the Happy Canyon directors.

For those of you who missed the Dress-Up Parade, there’s another chance to rev up your Round-Up spirit during Friday’s Westward Ho! Parade. I encourage you to sidle up to the announcer’s table for Round 2 of Melton and Miller’s parade tour. However, if you can’t make it to downtown Pendleton, tune in to 1240 KTIX for a live broadcast of the unique non-motorized parade.
——
Tammy Malgesini is the EO community editor. Her column, Inside my shoes, appears every other week. You can reach her at tmalgesini@eastoregonian.com or 541-564-4539.

No comments:

Post a Comment